We found some interesting glass negatives in one of the boxes, and converted them for you to see. The box is labeled for Snohomish County, 1894-1908. So we don’t knew exactly when these were taken, but it’s probably near the turn of the 20th century. Some photos could be from the 1920s.
From David Cameron: Sawyer is the campground site named for the first Silverton Ranger District Ranger George Sawyer, who also was charged with creating and operating the Silverton tree nursery. He was transferred to Skykomish as district ranger ca. 1920. Weigle is the same place, the name changed to honor Snoqualmie National Forest Supervisor William Weigle. He had gone through the catastrophic Idaho forest fires of 1910 before coming here and after retiring served as head of the Washington State Parks. The mill should be that of the Tulalip Mill Co., built by the Rucker brothers ca. 1920 and never doing much. It was right next to the Sinkhole and now is the Tulalip Mill Site FS group campsite. The mill itself was razed, with many of the materials taken up to the Mackinaw mine off the county road up Weden Creek. That was done by Ronald D. Taft, about whom there is much to write. The Rucker brothers favored white and black, as at their Big Four Inn, so note the color of the mill. The old gas car is similar to the ones they used on their Hartford Eastern Railway, which they obtained from the Northern Pacific. So, I’d tentatively date many of those photos from the decade of the 1920s.
From David Cameron: School District No. 12 was the old Shorts one, later becoming part of what is now a very geographically large Snohomish School District. The Shorts road takes off from the old Snohomish-Monroe Highway right where it makes a 90 degree turn from south to east and takes you on to the KRKO tower “farm”. Across the Snohomish River directly to the west is the Bob Heirman County Park, and a bit farther south it curves up onto Lord’s Hill and that county park. That’s also NP country, Bob having retired as a fireman on it and the old line coming north down the valley from Maltby past Harvey Field into Snohomish and on north to Machias and on up eventually to Sumas. The section from downtown Snohomish to the Skagit County line is the Centennial Trail.